Skip to main content

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro


I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac, which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five.

The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to install Linux on a Mac these days, and some of the older posts were gnarly, involving multiple and complex steps. But the truth is that Linux gets much better every year. It really wasn't much different than installing on a PC. Here's what I did.

How to: Steps

  1. Download a distro (an ISO file). Again, I used Elementary OS. It doesn't matter if you download on a PC, a Mac, or another Linux distro.
  2. Use a program - I recommend BalenaEtcher - to burn the file to a USB drive. 
  3. If possible, plug the Mac into a wired internet connection. Macs, or at least these Macs, use a Broadcomm wireless card, which is not the default for most Linux distros. But Ubuntu-based distros like elementary, and a few others, can install the correct driver easily as an option during installation. As it happened, I had an old USB wireless dongle, which allowed me to add the driver later. For wireless configuration tips, see here.
  4. Turn off the Mac.
  5. Insert the USB boot media into an open USB slot.
  6. Press the Power button to turn on your Mac (or Restart your Mac if it's already on).
  7. When you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key.
  8. Click on one of the icons that is not the hard drive. This will boot the USB drive.
  9. At this point, you can run the live distro to make sure everything works. In my case, it did: sound, backlit keys, etc.
  10. Choose install, and follow prompts.

Post installation

Elementary OS is indeed pretty, and light, and especially quick. The browser uses something like a tenth of Firefox's or Chrome's RAM. On the other hand, the OS doesn't ship with many apps, and I had trouble with several of what was bundled. The AppCenter showed me software it couldn't install. The email program was rejected by gmail as not secure enough. But, on the one hand I can continue to use the Google Suite through the browser, where it's very quick. And I have enough familiarity with other Ubuntu-based distros to install a few other applications through the command line: the Synaptic package management program, Emacs (a word processing program of awesome power), the VLC video app, and a handful of others. I also used a built-in utility to turn a couple websites into standalone programs. But I'm really trying not to cruft it up. I want to keep this light and focused and responsive.

Bottom line: elementary OS is free (although they accept donations, and deserve them), and the distro gives new life to an old machine. I expected to be wrestling with this project for a few days. In fact, it became immediately useable, and a lot of fun.

Thanks, Suzanne, for the gift of the old Mac when you got a new one!

Comments

Jamie LaRue said…
Follow-up. I like elementary. It's a pleasure to use. But I've had some issues with apps.

* AppCenter just spun. Wouldn't update, wouldn't install anything. After a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, and a reboot, it did work. NOT intuitive! But at least it works now.

* Epiphany didn't allow me to put bookmarks in folders, or pin tabs. So I finally just installed Firefox. I'm happier, and it really doesn't seem any slower.

* Emacs. I downloaded, but it would immediately bomb at launch. It's a bug related to GTK+ display, I gather, but the online fixes didn't work on the launch button. I finally downloaded emacs25-lucid. It doesn't look like any other elementary app, but it works now, too.

* I still haven't been able to play a dvd movie or music CD, not even with VLC. I don't know if that's an issue with Mac hardware or what. But that's a big disappointment.

* Gmail and calendar. I get that Google moved the bar on security. But the solutions are just complex enough, I move to the web. So elementary custom apps wind up being irrelevant.

* Shut down. I guess this bug has been reported too: shutdown often hangs. But if I logout first, it works.

* Quilter is just pretty. Writing is my main interest in computers. But when I open the side panel, it duplicates files. I can show the document markdown outline. But right now, I can't navigate using it (can't click the header). I want this program to work, but it feels half-finished.

And yet, elementary remains so much more responsive than OSX was on this machine. I like the design sensibility, even if it doesn't always live up to it.

I also found a github link that makes everything look a lot more Mac-like, even with a dark theme. See https://github.com/ipproductions/eOS-X.

On the whole I'm genuinely grateful for the project, and deem it worthy of support. After my Chromebook, this is my best laptop, and far more private, customizable, and powerful.
Jamie LaRue said…
A little more progress.

I found the fix for Audio and video playback:

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

I had previously apt-get installed vlc. Now, all I have to do is insert the disc, load VLC, choose media (movie or audio), then play.

So that solves a problem that bothered me. But note that I'm still not using native apps. Pantheon is a light, intuitive desktop environment. That's the real find of elementary. But the eOS-X theme is better (visually clearer) than the original. VLC is better than the two built in players. Firefox is better than Epiphany. emacs is better than Quilter.

elementary is an Ubuntu distro that, particularly on an old Mac, feels very Mac-like. I *think* it now does everything I need it to do (haven't tried some of the webinar software, but now have more confidence about that). It took a little spelunking (new environment, git, themes). But that adds up to some learning, and in the end, easy fixes for someone with just a little Linux background.

On the whole, liking this a lot.
Anonymous said…
It doesn’t matter if you have a Windows or macOS, the choice of a browser for an operating system is very crucial and should always be a wise decision. After all, you spend quite a significant part of your day surfing the web, isn’t it? When choosing the best internet browser for MacBook Pro, there are several aspects that you should consider.
Jamie LaRue said…
I realize the above is more of an article about browsers than about using them on older Macs, but I approved it anyhow.
Charles said…
The 2011 Macbook Pro will be much quicker if you exchange the HDD for an SSD. I still use the 2011 MBP (8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) as a daily machine and have no complaints whatsoever about speed.
Jamie LaRue said…
Hah. At work, I've been using Windows 10. With Google Suite, I find it's not so bad. Like you, I don't like Microsoft's pushiness. I use Word when I have to, and can navigate around Excel. There were lots of things I liked about the MacOS, but find that the apps I tend to use the most are kind of operating system independent. These days, I mostly use my Chromebook. I turned on the Linux subsystem, so I can run Emacs as well. I use Dynalist as my main work space. And even on a Chromebook, I use Duck Duck Go as my browser. These days, I don't want to spend a lot of time on the care and feeding of an OS. I mostly just want it to get out of the way. Linux is still a terrific solution.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu