Skip to main content

Chicago March for Science

Today, Earth Day, I went down to Grant Park to join the estimated 40,000 people who showed up for the March for Science.

And there were stars. Beaker!

Many of the signs were equally clever. Some of them were pretty obviously political:
  • Make America THINK again.
  • Science is what makes America great.
  • I've seen smarter cabinets at IKEA.
  • Less invasions, more equations.
  • Einstein was a refugee.
  • You can't repeal and replace the laws of physics.
  • Trump's team are like atoms - they make up everything.
  • Don't frack with science.
  • Twitler (Trump with Hitler mustache)
  • Facts matter.
  • Defiance for science.
  • We're not resisters. We're transformers.
Others were more about Earth Day:
  • I'm with her (image of the globe). (Although come to think of it, that's political, too!)
  • Keep the earth clean. It's not Uranus.
  • May the forest be with you.
  • Love yo mama (image of Earth).

Still others were just funny:
  • I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. (next to an image of Isaac Newton)
  • There is no Planet B.
  • I am a MAD scientist!
  • Ignorance is free. Science must be funded.
  • If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
  • I like big brains and I cannot lie. (I also saw lots of yarn caps made to look like naked brains)
  • The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (saw this a bunch of times)
  • Marie Curie didn't die for this bullshit.
  • Got polio? Me neither. Thank science!
  • Science says "I don't know. Let's find out!"
  • Science not silence.
  • Science is not a matter of opinion.
  • Without science, it's just fiction.
  • (On baby carriage) This baby is starstuff.
  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. (attributed to Carl Sagan)
  • Evidence is cool.
  • Show me the evidence!
  • Dinosaurs were big. (Hah!) But I mean, some were Nervous Rex.
Also, I got pretty close to the front of the parade, which had lined up behind a couple of  two-person Tyrannosaurus Rex puppets. They led us down Columbus to the Field Museum.




I also got a kick out of some of the chants. First, this kind of nerdy looking guy with an electronic microphone tried to lead us in various slogans, but his heart wasn't in it, and the rhythm wasn't quite right. (Although "Get up, get down, Chicago is a science town" was pretty good.) Then a spitfire of a high school girl got the crowd rocking.

Her: "TELL ME WHAT A SCIENTIST LOOKS LIKE!"
Us: "THIS IS WHAT A SCIENTIST LOOKS LIKE!"
(Repeat 3 times)

Her: "TELL ME WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!"
Us: "THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!"
(X 3)

Her: "TELL ME WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE!"
Us: "THIS IS WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE!"
(X 3)

Her: "TELL ME WHAT AMERICA LOOKS LIKE!"
Us: "THIS IS WHAT AMERICA LOOKS LIKE!"
(X 3)

When she wrapped it up, we were all yelling and cheering.

In short, kinda fun, and kinda encouraging.

Comments

Suzanne said…
I love "Defiance for science!" Thanks for posting all of these. I had to work, but your photos make me feel as if I got to march.
centauri said…
I am a scientist and I've been somewhat turned off by a lot of pro-science people. Most of the signs you posted seemed okay, but sometimes I see signs along the lines of "I believe science is true."

I find that concerning. I don't "believe" in science or, rather, I try not to. Ideally, science, as I'm sure you know, embraces skepticism, and encourages testing of claims, so that no has to believe.

Practically, of course, we can't know everything ourselves firsthand. We're going to have to take some things on faith and trust. But when we do that too much, we become no better than religious anti-science folks.

I guess I offer all this in part because I want to participate in such events, but not to align myself with people who miss too much of the point of science and veer toward believing that it will always support their beliefs. I welcome replies to this.
Jamie LaRue said…
centauri, I replied to this, but just discovered that I neglected to post it!

I agree with you, and I bet most of the people at that event did, too. Right now, we seem to be awash in the notion that all opinions are equal. But science isn't opinion: it's *tested hypothesis,* and governed by evidence. As such, it is by definition tentative. You never know when the next piece of evidence will blast a hole in the hypothesis, then it has to be abandoned. For some people, that seems entirely too unsettling. The religious right has often used the idea of "faith in science" to justify the argument that science is "secular humanism," a belief system just like Christianity. Then, of course, they demand that Creationism be taught in science classes. But until religion offers testable hypotheses (without requiring you to die first to check them out), and adherents demonstrates the ability to ABANDON the belief system if the evidence contradicts it, it ain't science.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu