Skip to main content

Managing your relationship with your boss

[The First Year Director: Strategies for Success, 2 of 8]

Make them look good

The first dictum in managing your relationship with your boss is this: make them look good. I say "them" because for most public library directors, their boss is a governing board (i.e. hires the director, adopts the budget, sets policy, etc.). How do you know who the boss is? To quote my friend Pat Wagner, "the boss is the one who signs your paycheck." The boss isn't the only important player, but it's not a bad place to start.

In some cases, a board may be advisory. That is, while its members may well advise the director on library business, those governing decisions are made by someone else (a mayor, a town council, a board of county commissioners).

In other cases, the boss is someone else in the governing body's hierarchy. I once reported to the head of Cultural Affairs. There is an advantage to having a single boss: it's easier to figure out what matters to them, and to deliver it.

It happens that I attended a town council meeting where my boss was asked a question about something that nobody seemed to know much about. She punted. I came back from the meeting and with my reference librarian, prepared a concise overview of key articles and current thinking on the topic. The next day, I presented it to my boss. She was surprised. "Why did you do this?" I said, "The next time you get asked a question about this, I want you to be the smartest, best-informed person in the room."

Unsurprisingly, my boss became a strong advocate for my program, as well.

Boards must act as one

But what happens if you do report to multiple people, a decision-making body?

The first principle is this: you work for the corporate body, and the corporate decision, not the board president or the strongest voice on the board. One of the most useful phrases I learned to use at board meetings, when the operational decision was properly mine, but I was seeking (or got whether I was seeking it or not) some advice, was this: "Thank you for your input. I'll keep it in mind when I make my decision." Alternatively, if the board actually should be weighing in on a decision, "Thank you for your insights. What is the will of the board?" That is, it is useful to capture the broad ideas of board members when you're trying to figure something out. But if the board really should be deciding something, make sure it's the whole board, and a vote is taken.

Your job is still to make those decision-makers look good. The image you want of them is this: they pay attention to what matters. They thoughtfully investigate courses of action. They make decisions, and put the resources behind them. They keep an eye on results. They make a difference.

The board packet is a statement of significance

One of the most common problems I see with directors is what they believe they have to put in a written report, the "board packet."

The packet, in my mind, serves two purposes.

First, it provides accountability. The legitimate job of a board is oversight. Financial reports, the adoption of policies, and lists of key activities (particularly those related to a long range plan), are important ways for a public body to keep an eye on general institutional performance. I particularly like one of the suggestions a board member made to me: every month, give us a one page overview of our main goals, and what we've done on them since the last report. I strongly recommend having that discussion with the board: what measures really matter? Let's get those in the board packet, and talk about that, not extraneous details.

An aside: library performance is strongly correlated with staff hours. Business people sometimes struggle with this: if we reduce staff, we save money. But libraries aren't a for profit business, we are a service business. Service requires providers. Our core asset is staff. Reducing staff reduces library performance generally.

Second, the board report should also call out where the board can be of use. That probably isn't the identification of library trends or operational issues, although too many library directors invite the latter. Rather, the board packet should also use the collective insight of the board to determine the key community issues, and to interpret library trends for their significance to the local environment. It should also provide board members with the compelling stories they need to advocate for the larger meaning of libraries in the community.

When board packets provide only a mind-numbing recitation of operational statistics and details, that invites boards to comment on them. Board packets should mean something, invite the kind of discussion that is worthy of citizen governance.

Minutes. Another board member, serving as board secretary (meaning that she reviewed my assistant's minutes, and edited them for the final version) implored me, "Make us look smart." It isn't necessary to track every comment and who said it. But it is necessary to show that important questions got asked, and the answers informed whatever course of action prevailed. Make your bosses look good. And help them to get better.

No surprises

Another key tip in dealing with a board is this: don't surprise them. Too often, I showed up at board meetings asking them to act on what they learned that night (whether a policy or a vendor contract). It didn't make me look good, and made them uncomfortable. Far better is to say, preferably at a board lunch or study session, "I'm thinking about this project or initiative. Here's why I'm exploring it. Before I make a recommendation to you, what are the issues I should consider? Who should I talk to?"

That question, especially when followed up with action ("I did investigate that issue, I did consult this person") prepares the board for future action, and gives them a valid sense of meaningful participation, and confidence in the director's proposals.

Other tips

Board structure and culture profoundly influences the feel and outcome of meetings. Some do well with a committee structure--putting the work of the board into smaller groups who really dig into an issue. Others prefer an all-member study session. No one style works for all boards.

Boards matter. So does their orientation. Board members should have job descriptions, a manual, and regular continuing education.

I also recommend that in addition to regular, formal board meetings, directors should also schedule a lower key, less formal way to exchange views. I used monthly board lunches to great effect. They're still public meetings, and should still be "noticed" for the community. But the community rarely shows up, and a more casual atmosphere is a good place to build trust. It gives directors a chance to say what they are wondering about, and board members a place to ask their own questions they might not be comfortable voicing in more public meetings.

An important thing to raise for every board is the notion of an annual evaluation of its own effectiveness. Did the board adhere to policies? Do its members behave in a way that contributed to library goals? Do they make the library look good? 

Comments

Jenn Pants said…
How are the boards formed? Who puts them together? I’m an MLIS student at the University of South Florida just trying to understand how this works. Thank you for providing this resource/series.
Jamie LaRue said…
Didn't see this, Jen, sorry for delay. Public library boards tend to be appointed by the larger government body. So for a city, a town council or mayor does the appointing. For a county, the county commissioners. In some states, public library boards (of some kinds) are elected. Probably the best way to get this is to look at various state library websites, under "formation." In some states, there can be multiple kinds of libraries (municipal, county, regional, charter, non-profit) with many wrinkles for board appointments. The trend is probably to make public library boards advisory, bringing them under greater municipal or county control. But that trends tends to work against the vitality and funding of libraries.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu