Skip to main content

For sex, see librarian

[This column appeared in the September 25, 2024 issue of the Sopris Sun.]

When I was 13, I kissed a girl. Many times. I was feeling pretty good about it until I overheard my mother, a head nurse at the Veterans Administration hospital, mention something to a colleague over the phone about the treatment of venereal disease.

When you wanted to learn about something in those days, long before the internet, you went to the library. In the dictionary, I found out that venereal disease (see syphilis and gonorrhea) was the result of sexual activity.

Kissing, it sure seemed to me, was sexual. Then I looked up syphilis and gonorrhea in the encyclopedia. There were pictures. It was horrifying. It was also a little unclear how you got the diseases.

In something approaching panic, I dove into the card catalog. (This was before computer catalogs, too.) I looked up the logical heading: “Sex.”

And right there on the main card was typed “For Sex: See Librarian.”

I want to make it clear that the library was not offering sexual services. I think the idea was that if you wanted any information about the topic you were supposed to talk to the staff. But there was no way I was going to ask one of the prim ladies at the reference desk if I was coming down with a sexually transmitted disease. I wasn’t going to ask my mother, either.

I know that there are many people who very much like this arrangement. They think, if you just don’t tell the children about sex, or at least make it a little harder to find out about it, the problem goes away!

Is anyone surprised to learn that the teenage pregnancy rate of the time was quite a bit higher than it is today? After 40 years of professional library experience, I’ve learned that the best protection against attempts to sexually exploit children is not ignorance. It is knowledge, often provided by the schools and libraries now under attack. (And they are under attack as never before. See below.)

In much the same way, some folks don’t think we should talk about LGBTQ+ issues, either. But ignorance and bigotry serve predators, not their prey.

I know some people argue that putting information “behind the desk” isn’t censorship. After all, the book is still there. But when you make it harder to find information, the information doesn’t get used — even by the people most in need of it.

Books that get used stick around. We buy extra copies. Books that don’t get used get weeded — removed to make way for things that have a better chance of finding a reader. Putting books out of sight helps get rid of them. That’s the point.

The American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom (or OIF, where I used to be the executive director) documented 1,247 demands to censor library books and resources in 2023. They report, “The number of titles targeted for censorship surged 65% in 2023 compared to 2022, reaching the highest levels ever documented by OIF in more than 20 years of tracking: 4,240 unique book titles were targeted for removal from schools and libraries. This tops the previous high from 2022, when 2,571 unique titles were targeted for censorship. Titles representing the voices and lived experiences of LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC individuals made up 47% of those targeted in censorship attempts.”

In response, the American Library Association created a website called Unite Against Book Bans (www.uniteagainstbookbans.org). I recommend it. There are loads of tips on how to do everything from seeing what’s being challenged, to how to write a letter to the editor or testify in front of a school board.

On Oct. 19, the Garfield County Public Library District will host a Unite Against Book Bans rally at Centennial Park in Glenwood Springs. The event will run from 11am to noon. Children are welcome — and are in fact encouraged to dress up as their favorite character from a book. There will be prizes.

We’ll also have a few local speakers, but none of us will talk very long. After the costume judging, the event will end with a march to a government office to leave a petition.

Please join us for the celebration of the First Amendment freedom to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The First Year: 5 strategies for success

[The First Year: 5 Strategies for Success, 1 of 8] Over the past several years, I've had the pleasure of coaching several new public library directors. For a  variety of reasons, many directors are stepping into the role for the first time. Often, particularly in smaller or more rural libraries, they haven't even had a lot of supervisory experience. I tell new directors that the two big advantages of confidential access to someone who has walked in your shoes is that (a) you can ask the questions you might feel embarrassed to ask your board or staff, and (b) you have the advantage of someone else's mistakes. To be clear, everybody makes mistakes. It may be the most powerful learning tool we have. But I've thought about my mistakes, and I can help you identify the old ones, and with luck, make new ones. There's no good reason to make the same ones! I believe that there are five key constituencies the public library director must satisfy:  your boss  (usual