Skip to main content

Newspaper columns

I have been writing a weekly newspaper column since 1987. For 3 years, it ran in the Greeley Tribune. Since then, it has run in various subsidiaries of the Douglas County News Press. I still have most of my columns in digital format.

For many years, I only gave myself one rule: try to work the word "library" into every piece. My intent was to think in public about just what librarianship means at the end of the 20th century and beginning of the 21st.

There have been many advantages for me. I found that putting library plans out in front of the public, and getting feedback about them, helped me make better decisions. Sometimes, I found that it was very difficult for me to describe those plans or policies -- the kind of thing that makes me realize that they might not be good ideas after all. The weekly discipline of explaining my profession to the public keeps me more mindful, more honest. It also has provided steady visibility for the library and its issues.

I maintain an email list of folks who have indicated that they would like to receive my columns. But since 1996, my institution, Douglas County Libraries, has hosted them as well. Current columns can be found (at this point in our library website's development) here. [Note: I've updated this link to our new website, as of June 10, 2008.]

When I found blogspot, I was so impressed with the ease of posting -- and frankly, how much better the postings looked than our library's presentation of my columns -- that I set up another blog just for newspaper columns. It's here. Most of the people who looked at the two presentations side by side distinctly preferred blogspot's appearance and usability.

So I suggested to several members of my staff that it might not be necessary to put my columns on the library website anymore. That would save time for the folks who posted it. Moreover, while I have been the director for a long time now (18 years!), some day I won't be, and who knows how the next director will feel about hosting his or her predecessor's opinions.

My staff demurred, however. They recast it in a couple of interesting ways.

* a collection development issue. My columns constitute a digital archive, a collection of "born digital" objects. That collection is relevant to the history of the Douglas County Libraries. It is a part of our institutional memory.

* including my columns in the website integrates their content with other library searches. That's a patron convenience, when, for instance, they heard about a library program through my column, and are trying to find it using some of the keywords I used.

* our own upcoming website redesign (out for staff testing next month, and public rollout sometime in May) will in fact be far more blog-like. That means that I can post it myself (freeing up that staff labor), and continue the maintenance of the digital archive.

* incorporating my ongoing columns on the library website allows for some Web 2.0-type citizen comments. Then, when I write about library issues, people can comment on them in a way that might provoke more community discussion.

Those are all good arguments, I think.

So I think I've decided to hang onto the library website, at least until I see how the new software works. I don't know if I'll continue with the blogspot version; there's no point in maintaining two sites with the same information. Interestingly, when I experimented with it -- quickly adding my 2008 pieces -- blogspot's algorithm for "spam blogging" flagged the new blog, and has prevented me from posting to it. I've asked them to reconsider, just today, and we'll see how long it takes them to sort that out.

Lessons learned:

* libraries should be thinking about the creation of digital repositories, and their local columns or press releases might be easy sources for that.

* blogging as a format for library websites seems to be gaining some traction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu