Skip to main content

Harvey

Last night was opening night for the Parker Arts Council production of "Harvey," by Mary Chase. It's a wonderful play, one of my favorites. I was fortunate enough to land the part of Elwood P. Dowd. The rest of the cast is amazing:

Mark Como, director and cab driver, has an eye for great bits of physical humor. And he has assembled a fabulous team.

Sarah Como, Assistant Director, is not only an efficient stage manager, she also put her finger on something I'd never seen in any production of Harvey. Elwood's first appearance is when he says, "Excuse me a moment. I have to answer the phone." But Sarah is the only one to spot the clear stage directions: the phone doesn't ring until after Elwood says he'll answer it. The point is that Harvey (who is in constant conversation with Elwood) gets "advance notice." A brilliant insight.

Shelley Cullen as Nurse Kelley. A sassier nurse you will not find, with a wonderful smile. She gives me a smooch, too.

Mary Ann Evans as Ethel Chauvenet. Mary Ann absolutely nails the slightly off-kilter "Aunt Ethel," with spot-on high couture costuming and an alternating deadpan comedy and looks of mounting horror.

Mary Beth Gudewicz as Myrtle Mae Simmons. Hard to believe that we used to name people "Myrtle." Mary Beth is an always elegant presence, and her Myrtle Mae as the scheming and slightly date-desperate young woman is hilarious.

Theresa Lewis as Veta Louise Simmons. Theresa is the star of the show, carrying most of the dialog, and describing the essential story arc. Being in plays is weird in this way: I wind up having genuine feelings about fictitious relationships. Theresa now seems like a beloved sibling to me. Elwood puts his relationship with his sister before everything else, and ultimately, that trust is justified. Veta gets big laughs, and works hard to deserve them.

Rick Reid as Mr. Wilson. Rick is great, alternately tough guy and leering suitor, with a genuine admiration for another character -- Dr. Chumley.

Clayton Russel as Dr. Chumley. Even the cast is divided about this. I think he's the villain of the piece, the guy who has a formula to kill you spiritually. But as villains go, he's pretty fun to watch, especially when he reveals his deepest fantasy -- involving Akron.

Marilyn Spittler as Betty Chumley. Marilyn has an utterly engaging, slightly ditzy character that you just can't help but like. Endearing.

Doug "the Doug" Tisdale is our Dr. Sanderson. I was in another play with Doug, and once again find him a consistently sharp and generous actor, who enjoys himself so much on the stage it's all he can do not to burst out laughing.

Doug Tisdale Sr. as Judge Gaffney. Our highest energy performer, the Judge frames the issues in surprising ways. A joy to watch.

Elwood has lots of great lines that really do seem to be about presence, about awareness, about kindness and courtesy. Rick described Elwood as a bodhisattva -- a nearly enlightened being who hangs around to help others attain enlightenment. Doug Sr. made a case that Elwood has a kind of Christ-like aspect.

I've gone through several takes on the character. First, I thought Elwood was a sage. Then, I thought he was more of a gentle and equable drunk. Finally, I concluded that he was enchanted -- but was alert enough to the unseen even before his bewitchment to genuinely enjoy his enchantment. Or maybe he's the one who enchanted Harvey.

I like Elwood better than almost any character in fiction. And I have the deepest affection for my fellow cast members, who are adorable and fascinating.

We have three more shows: tonight, Saturday, February 7, 2009, and next Friday and Saturday. All shows are at 7 p.m. at the Parker Mainstreet Center 19650 E. Mainstreet, Parker, CO, 80138. Tickets are $15, with (I think) breaks for seniors and students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu