Skip to main content

Sony Ebook Reader PRS-600 - first impressions

A month or so I bought Suzanne a Kindle. Setting it up was simplicity itself. Turn it on, follow on-screen instructions, pull books from the air (via 3G), and voila. The manual for the device was one of the built-in books. Really, a piece of cake.

But I was a little troubled by the proprietary format, and the rather high-handed way content can suddenly disappear from your device if Amazon gets notions.

So I asked for, and got for Christmas, a Sony. This is the little touch screen. Suzanne also bought a cover for it, with a built-in light. That'll be handy as a bedside device.

Over the next few days or weeks, I'd like to blog about how it is to use. It's interesting to have two librarians, and two ereaders in the same house. We're comparing notes.

SETTING UP, FIRST TRY (LINUX)

I had to plug it in to a USB port on my PC to charge it up. That didn't take long (maybe an hour, I guess) but I couldn't use it while it charged. (I could the Kindle.)

Now we come to the primary design flaw of the Sony. Everything it does well (charging or getting content), it does by being plugged into a computer. And despite the fact that the Sony is running (according to Wikipedia) MontaVista Linux, I learned that I either had to have a PC or a Mac to (a) download Adobe Digital Editions, or (b) run the Mac or Windows installer from the Sony device itself. It appears that at least (b) is absolutely necessary to use protected content on the reader.

OK, at home, I use Ubuntu Linux. I followed this thread on ubuntoforums.org and did manage to get the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) downloaded and installed in the "wine" virtual environment. It ran. I was able then to go into my library catalog and download an ebook, drag and drop that file on the running ADE. It opened, and I could read it on my computer. Great. But of course, I don't WANT to read a book on my computer, I want to put it on the Sony.

And in the ADE program on Ubuntu, there was no way to do that. The reader was supposed to show up as a bookshelf (ADE terminology for a special booklist). It didn't. So there was no way to transfer the library book to the Sony reader.

Then I got to poking around in files on the reader itself. It did find (under Launcher) some install files for Windows and the Mac. I couldn't get the Windows installer to run -- it just errored out.

Meanwhile, I discovered a program called calibre -- a very slick open source program that runs on Linux, Windows, and the Mac. It's wonderful, and had no trouble recognizing the reader when I plugged it in. It had a big button that said "send to device!" So I did.

And here's what I learned. ADE and (I imagine) the Windows program I couldn't install, handle the Digital Rights Management (DRE) issues. calibre pushed over the file, but the Sony reader wouldn't let me open it.

So that concluded my installation experiments on Linux. I couldn't get it to allow me to use DRM-protected books. (I did learn, using calibre, how to push free and pdf files onto it, though!) Apparently, Linux's 1% market share isn't enough to persuade even big manufacturers to make things work.

SETTING UP, SECOND TRY - THE MACINTOSH OSX

Fortunately, there are a couple of Macs in the house. Suzanne let me use hers, and at first, getting everything downloaded was slow, errored out, etc. But the issue, I soon learned, was that a lot of people got Sony ereaders for Christmas, and they completely overwhelmed the servers. Why those other people couldn't have waited till I was done is just one of the many mysteries of life. I eventually got ADE and the Mac installer up and running. I registered on Adobe, and with the special Mac program, tried to drag my library book to the Sony (which DID show up as an option). When I did that, I had to give my Adobe password again. Then, voila, it worked. That is, I could go to our website, check out a digital book, push it onto my Sony, and read it. I assume that in 21 days it will delete itself. That's cool.

Let me point out, by the way: the Sony doesn't have a manual with it. It did have some weird assortment of preloaded books in English, French, and German, as well as a few samples that didn't interest me. But it didn't have a manual. I think that's insane. (Correction: OK, it does have a manual. It's on the Reader, under a Documents folder, in zipped format. You have to copy it to your computer and unzip it, then send it BACK to the Reader. No, maybe I'm right the first time. That's insane.)

And even without the hassle of trying to use it on Linux, the steps were needlessly complex (charge, wait, setup desktop computer, plug in reader, download additional software from another vendor). For setup, for consumer ease, Kindle is a clear winner. You turn on the device, you go to the store (a screen menu item), and you say, that one!

Granted, I won't have to mess with installation in the future, but it's still a process of logging onto a website, transacting business, downloading a file, plugging in the Sony, loading another program, adding the downloaded file to a library, then transferring the file. Clunky.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS

calibre was a find, though. I was able to do something kind of cool: take a big file (the Openoffice.org version of my book, "The New Inquisition," output it to a pdf file, then convert it and push it to the Sony. Oh, and because it had an ISBN number, calibre went online and found cover art and blurb information for it. I did the same thing with an unpublished chapbook of my poetry (which, of course, didn't have either cover art or ISBN).

So thanks to calibre, you can convert content pretty easily from one format to another, including content you create yourself. Points to Sony for using the epub format. (I believe, though, that you can email pdfs to your Kindle by using username@kindle.com. I haven't tried that.) [Later: yes, you can, and jpgs too.]

On the other hand, the Kindle came with a built-in dictionary. The Sony doesn't have one. That's a point to the Kindle. (Correction: I was wrong. While reading a book last night I rested my thumb on a word and up popped the Oxford English Dictionary definition. Another icon expanded it to the whole page.)

The Sony is a touch screen, which makes sense. The Kindle is button driven. Point to the Sony.

After finally getting a couple of books on it, I set it side by side against the Kindle. And the Kindle is undeniably easier to read: the screen is less reflective, and the letters are a crisper font (both allow you to adjust the font size, but not the font itself). Maybe the white plastic makes the Kindle screen seems brighter than the flashy red metal cover I picked out for the Sony. But altogether, the Sony text seems a little muddy. Both are muddier than print on paper.

Anyhow, those are my first thoughts. Now the test is to see if I will actually read something on it, and what I'll think of the experience. More on direct interface - use of buttons, flipping back and forth, adding notes or bookmarks, etc., in a future post.

Comments

unmitigated me said…
And the other issue, getting it to pay for itself. On average (I checked about thirty books, old and new)Kindle books are cheaper than the B&N books by 4-5 bucks each. That's a pretty significant savings, I think.
humblefool said…
Aww, no love for the nook? (Disclaimer: I work for Barnes and Noble, and actually have to try and sell nooks at work. I've got one on order, though, so at least I'm willing to eat my own dogfood.)

Still, nice to see someone actually review the Sony Reader -- I'll be able to cite this post when people ask me how it stacks up to the Sony. Also didn't know you'd written a book, but it looks like it's out of print.
Jamie said…
Yes, it's certainly the case that Amazon charges less for their ebooks. On the other hand, I'm using the Sony to check out and read LIBRARY books (e.g. borrowed, not bought). My interest in electronic readers isn't in building up a big e-collection, but just to read more. And to that end, the use of the epub format "gives Sony's eBook store more than 600,000 titles in total, dwarfing the roughly 245,000 closed-format titles currently available for the ... Kindle." (From an article in the the Register.)

Oh, and humblefool, you can still get my book here: http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/LU2857.aspx
Leslie said…
I got to play with my Grandmother's Kindle a while back and had to admit that it was largely cool, and I can even see the benefits of such an e-reader, but in the end, I do not know if I can justify the amount of money it would take to own any of the e-readers. And if I were to do so, I would most likely go with a library connection, because the point of spending money on a book is either to give it to someone or to treasure it in a physical sense. At least, I think so.
Jamie said…
Mike Cane: great links. Thanks. Because of them, I saw the manual I hadn't tracked down until then.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu