Skip to main content

Corrections to my quote

A few weeks ago, it turns out, I had walking pneumonia. Then I was contacted by a journalist for the Deseret Magazine for some comments about the sharp rise of book challenges across the country.

In response to one of his questions, I said something that bordered on incoherence. That happens sometimes when you're quoted. (Maybe it happens more often when you have pneumonia.) I don't blame the author, who doublechecked the recording. I blame me. I conflated two things I think into one mismash that I don't.

So I wanted to clarify my comments. I was trying to speak about two kinds of challenges: the ones that try to reduce the real horror of slavery and racism portrayed in Beloved by Toni Morrison to nothing more than "too sexy," and the ones that paint the whole of another work, The Little House in the Prairie books, for instance, as being comprehensively racist, when that isn't the point of those works, either. In the end, most censorship challenges are reductionist, the attempt to whittle a whole work down to a few transparently controversial snippets.

Morrison's works are often challenged by white people who find the frank description of historical racial atrocities "uncomfortable," and would prefer that their almost-grown children not have to think about such things. That's willful ignorance and hypocrisy. This kind of censorship claims that white fragility trumps historical truth, and need not take into account the experience or feelings of Black people, only of white folks.

What's going on when a politician calls into question a list of 850 books because they "might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex or convey that a student, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously?" On the one hand, it represents a wholly disingenuous dismissal of works simply because they dare to provide sympathetic portrayals of LGBTQ or people of color. But I believe that in this case, at this time, it's really political--a coordinated attempt to gin up faux outrage against teachers and librarians as a strategy to win conservative seats in the 2022 elections. It also continues the long attempt of some conservatives to tear apart public institutions in the name of thinly veiled bigotry.

The second kind of challenge comes more from the left. Is there racism in the works of Laura Ingalls Wilder? There are passages, yes, that echo the dominant culture of the time, which did indeed, in the American West of the time in which the novels were set, have anti-Indian stereotypes that masked atrocities. But as with Beloved, this challenge to Little House on the Prairie ignores both deeper and more explicit themes, in this case of family, self-reliance, endurance. Once again, this is about the attempt to recast a work to promote a separate agenda.

I continue to believe that our many problems in this nation do not arise from people reading too much literature. Rather than the mad rush to purge the past of authors whose viewpoints don't square with the prejudices of today, I think we should write new books, reflecting our own insights. Maybe they will prove as enduring as what they counter. Maybe they won't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu