Skip to main content

My book is out!

I am thrilled to report that my book, On Censorship: A Public Librarian Examines Cancel Culture in the US is now available.

Many thanks to the extraordinary folks of Fulcrum Publishing. At every step of the process, they have been insightful, constructive, and a pleasure to work with. I would like to call out, in particular, Sam Scinta, Alison Auch, and Kateri Kramer. Sam reached out to me at the beginning, Alison greatly improved my drafts, and Kateri has been invaluable in booking various speaking gigs since then.

Maybe every author is like this, but now that it's out, all I can see are the things I got wrong. When you write something, you know what you meant, and totally overlook those spots where you mumbled or misstyped. Fulcrum editors caught most of the goofs, but I managed to slip a few past them. As many authors have noted before me, all the mistakes are mine.

I'm also chagrined that some of my edits apparently remained in my drafts, and never got forwarded to Fulcrum. In particular, I meant to include the very kind blurb/endorsement of my Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) colleague Kristin Pekoll (now at the Illinois Library Association) in the beginning of my manuscript, and her book, Beyond Banned Books: Defending Intellectual Freedom throughout Your Library in the bibliography at the end. Kristin knows a lot about challenges, and is herself a fount of insight. Thank you, Kristin, and my apologies for sloppy submissions on my part.

A shout out, too, to my successor as Executive Director of the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF), Deborah Caldwell-Stone. Deborah is one of the finest minds I've ever encountered, and is absolutely in the thick of things during the current challenge Surge. But her responses, informed by her keen intelligence, consistently exemplify the very best thinking of both the legal and the library professions. I appreciate her integrity and her clarity.

As I'll no doubt describe in subsequent posts, book signings are fun. My thanks to Izzy at White River Books, who sponsored my first official, post-publication signing in Carbondale, CO on September 21, 2023. As I have often said, censorship succeeds when no one talks about it. Booksellers (and librarians) keep talking about it.

My next signing will be on October 6, from 6-7 pm, at Bookworm of Edwards (CO).

Comments

Erin Jameson said…
Dear James,
I met you at the Paonia Bookstore and I purchased your book. Yesterday, I started it and today, I finished it. It was terrific! The way you explored censorship and beyond was very enlightening to me. Given this crazy time we live in, I can see how important it is to confront censorship. The steps you present and the questions you ask when facing a censorship issue are concise and non-threatening. Using your method as a blueprint for engaging with anyone where disagreements might occur is a way to come to an understanding. I believe I learned so much from this book.
Thank You for writing this very informative book about this extremely important topic. Best, Erin Jameson
Jamie LaRue said…
Thanks, Erin! Yours is the first official non-reviewer posting! I appreciate your comments. This is indeed a crazy time, and I think showing that a public institution can keep its cool and do its job is a useful reminder.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Recently, a library patron challenged (urged a reconsideration of the ownership or placement of) a book called "Uncle Bobby's Wedding." Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until that complaint. But I did read the book, and responded to the patron, who challenged the item through email and requested that I respond online (not via snail-mail) about her concerns. I suspect the book will get a lot of challenges in 2008-2009. So I offer my response, purging the patron's name, for other librarians. Uncle Bobby's wedding June 27, 2008 Dear Ms. Patron: Thank you for working with my assistant to allow me to fit your concerns about “Uncle Bobby's Wedding,” by Sarah S. Brannen, into our “reconsideration” process. I have been assured that you have received and viewed our relevant policies: the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, Free Access to Libraries for Minors, the Freedom to View, and our Reconsideration Policy. The intent of providing all tha

Installing Linux on a 2011 Macbook Pro

I had two MacBook Pros, both 13" models from late 2011. One had 4 gigs of RAM, and the other 8. Both of them were intolerably slow. In the first case, I wound up installing CleanMyMac , which did arcane things to various files, and put up alerts to warn me about disappearing memory. But it made the machine useable again, albeit not exactly speedy. I changed some habits: Safari as browser rather than Firefox or Chrome. I tried to keep tabs down to four or five. The second Mac had bigger problems. Its charger was shot, but even with that replaced, the battery tapped out at 75%. More importantly, the whole disk had been wiped, which meant that it wouldn't boot. Recently, I had downloaded a couple of Linux distributions ("distros") on USB drives. Elementary OS 5.1 (Hera) was reputed to be a lightweight, beautiful distro that shared some aesthetics with the Mac OS. So I thought I'd give it a try. Ahead of time, I tried to read up on how difficult it might be to

The enemies of literature

Every year, apologists for the restriction of reading stumble over themselves to "mock" Banned Books Week. Walther (Oct 1, 2023's " The Enemies of Literature ") upholds the grand tradition. Complaints about banning, the argument goes, are simply false. Walther writes, "In zero cases since the advent of Banned Books Week has a local or state ordinance been passed in this country that forbids the sale or general possession of any of the books in question." Yet Texas HB 900 was passed on June 13 of this year. It requires book vendors to assign ratings to books based only on the presence of depictions or references to sex. If a book is "sexually explicit" and has no direct connection to required curriculum, it must be pulled from the school. (One wonders what happens to the Bible, and its story of Lot's daughters, first offered by their father for gang rape, and whom he later sleeps with.) In Arkansas, legislation stated that school and pu